Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe
A spectacular chicken preparation where chicken is marinated with a unique Jalfrezi mix
and then fried to render it crisp and juicy. It is then braised in a rich onion and tomato sauce with added lemon and chilies for giving that extra spice to the dish. Enjoy it hot with fresh naan or steamed basmati rice!
- 4 Tbs Jalfrezi Spice mix
- 1/2 cup Cooking oil
- 800g Chicken cut into 3/4" pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3-4 onions, chopped
- 14 oz tin Chopped tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 10-12 Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly Ground black pepper, as per taste
- Grounded Chilli powder (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the Jalfrezi Spice Mix with some oil and form a paste.
- Rub this all over the chicken pieces and leave it in the refrigerator for almost two hours.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the chopped garlic. Sauté for a minute and then add the onions. Fry them till they turn golden brown. Stir in the Jalfrezi Spice Mix and oil mixture and continue to fry.
- Mix in the tomatoes and continue to cook over medium-high flame for few minutes.
- Add the lime juice, sprinkle some black pepper and pour in some water to form a thick and consistent sauce. Cook over reduced heat for around 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a deep pan and fry the marinated chicken pieces till they turn golden brown. Add them to the prepared sauce and continue to cook over reduced flame for further 10-12 minutes. Add water if required.
- Sprinkle some salt andChilli powder (as per taste).
- Remove from flame and garnish with the some chopped Coriander leaves. Serve hot with butter nann or steamed basmati rice.
- Sprinkle some garam masala and melted ghee (or butter) on top before serving.
- Try adding roughly chopped red bell peppers just when the chicken is almost cooked. It significantly enhances the taste of the whole dish.
- Try adding a spoonful of yogurt in the Jalfrezi Curry Spice Mix and oil marinade. It will give a tangy twist to the chicken.