Easy to cook Chicken Dopiaza Recipe
. An authentic Chicken Dopiaza Recipe
with the specialty of onions, whole red chilies
, tomatoes and saffron combined together to produce rich, creamy and delicious chicken on the plate! Enjoy the chicken pieces along with stir fried onions and relish the wonderful wave of flavors. Goes best with parathas or butter naan!
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 inch / 2.5cm piece of fresh ginger root
- 6 Whole Chilies, Or as per taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Ground Coriander
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1/1 teaspoon saffron (optional), soak in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 7 tsp (40g) Mr Huda's Universal Curry Paste
- 1 kg chicken
- 500 grams onions sliced
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 8 small potatoes
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt, as per taste
- Grind together some ginger, garlic, chilies and some salt along with some cumin and coriander to form a thick paste.
- Heat some oil in a medium sized deep vessel and add onions to it. Fry till golden brown and then add the prepared garlic paste and mix well.
- Mix in the tomatoes and peppercorns and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes till tomatoes are cooked.
- Thereafter, add the chicken pieces and mix well to coat the chicken well. Cook it covered for around 10-15 minutes.
- Pour in some water (around 2-3 cups or a pint) and saffron (if using) and cover it again. Once the mixture starts to boil, add the potatoes and continue to cook over reduced flame.
- Once the chicken and potatoes are completely cooked, thicken the consistency of the sauce. Serve hot.
- Garnish with some finely chopped onions and coriander leaves before serving.
- Prepare a marinade of yogurt, red chilies and turmeric and rub it over the chicken. Leave it to marinate in the refrigerator and then add the chicken to the onion-tomato gravy.