Meat Madras Curry Recipe
Simple easy to follow Madras Curry Recipe for those who love Indian food and wish to cook it for their friends and family. The Madras Curry is traditionally high on spice content and hence uses both whole and ground chilies. However, variations to the same allow balancing the level of spice as per taste. It’s not only simple to cook, but also a perfect option for your Sunday lunches with the near and dear ones.
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes including preparation time
Madras Curry Recipe Directions:
Madras Curry Recipe Cooking Tips:
- Mix together some Ground Cumin, Ground Fenugreek, Ground Coriander, Turmeric Powder and crushed garlic in a small bowl and spread it well rubbing all over the meat pieces. Let it marinate for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a deep dish and fry some onions till they turn brown. Be careful not to burn them. Keep them aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same vessel and the bay leaves, whole chilies and cardamoms. As they temper, add the marinated meat pieces and fry till it starts to become brown.
- Add the fried onions and mix them well. Pour in some water and let it boil over reduced heat to let the meat cook and tenderize.
- As he mixture starts to boil, thicken the sauce by letting it cook over medium-low flame. Sprinkle some grounded chilli, black pepper and some lemon juice and stir it once gently.
- Serve hot with boiled rice.
- Add some plain yogurt at the time of adding fried onions to the meat. This will effectively balance the spice content and at the same time enhance the texture and flavour of the dish.
- Try sprinkling some nutmeg powder along with other spices. Also, use of tomatoes will re-create the dish in a unique manner.
- Sprinkle some garam masala and chopped coriander on top before serving.
- If you wish to make the Madras Curry dish spicier simply add extra chilli powder when adding the curry paste. 5 teaspoons of chilli powder = Vindaloo strength